Building and Zoning
The Building Department serves to assist Essex Fells residents and commercial contractors wishing to initiate construction within the Borough. The responsibilities of this office include compliance with all State rules and regulations regarding construction including code enforcement for the following: UCC of New Jersey, IBC of New Jersey, IRC of New Jersey, IFC International, Fire Code NSP, National Standard Plumbing Code and the NEC National Electric Code
It is the duty of this office to issue permits and conduct inspections for new construction, repairs and renovations, additions, electric and gas service upgrades, demolition, roofing, siding, swimming pools, sheds, replacement of hot water heaters and removal of tanks, etc.
- Issue Permits
- Plan Review
- Field Inspections
- Sub-Code Officials Available to Answer Questions
- Assistance in Filling Out Permits
Before You Start a Project
- Obtain a Construction Permit Application Package from the Building office in Town Hall.
- Submit your completed sub-code application(s), jacket and 2 sets of plans to the Building Department for review.
- When the plan review process is complete, the applicant will be notified of the permit fee. If the application is incomplete, the applicant will be notified of the missing information.
- Work can be started when fees are paid and the Construction Permit is issued.
*Inspections cannot be scheduled via voice mail. You must call during regular business hours to schedule an inspection.*
View a list of professional staff you may need to know for your General Land Use Application Form.